Skip to main content

Masters in Bilingual Education Options

Teachers who want to pursue a graduate degree may get help paying for it by applying for a Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant. Unlike federal student grants, a TEACH Grant requires enrolling in specific classes and then working as a teacher in a high-need field like bilingual education.

Whether the student qualifies for the TEACH Grant may depend on the state where the student works after graduation. For example, if a high-need field appears in the U.S. Department of Education’s Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing, the student must teach in a state’s shortage area at the time of the grant or when beginning qualifying teaching service.

How the TEACH Grant Program Works

The TEACH Grant Program provides up to $4,000 a year to students enrolled in a degree program that prepares them for teaching careers in high-need fields. Students who meet the basic eligibility criteria for TEACH Grants and receive a grant will sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.

In short, the TEACH Grant eligibility requirements include:

  • Meeting Federal Student Aid basic eligibility criteria.
  • Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Enrolling in an undergraduate, graduate or post-baccalaureate program at a TEACH Grant eligible school.
  • Satisfying academic achievement requirements.
  • Signing the TEACH Grant Agreement.

The agreement says the student agrees to teach in a high-need field at a school serving students from low-income families for at least four academic years within eight years of completing the course of grant-related study. The student can use the grant at any eligible school, in-state or out-of-state but will be responsible for any tuition that is not covered.

If the student does not complete the service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds received turn into a direct unsubsidized loan. In this case, the student will repay the loan to the U.S. Department of Education with interest.

How to Get a TEACH Grant for an MS in Curriculum and Instruction in Bilingual Education

Those interested in applying for a TEACH Grant can contact the financial aid office at the school where they want to enroll. Ask the school if they are a TEACH Grant-eligible institution and which programs qualify. For example, Texas A&M International University’s Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction with a Specialization in Bilingual Education online program is TEACH Grant-eligible.

TAMIU’s program tuition is affordable with an in-state rate of $11,082 that includes all fees. A student who receives the TEACH Grant could potentially only pay $7K for the program. A student may further reduce the tuition with other qualifying grants and scholarships. Educators can check with their school or district to see if additional tuition help is available.

Learn more about Texas A&M International University’s online Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction with a Specialization in Bilingual Education program.


TEA: Bilingual Education Standards

Federal Student Aid: TEACH Grant

U.S. Department of Education: Teacher Shortage Areas Nationwide Listing 1990-1991 through 2017-2018

Federal Student Aid: Basic Eligibility Criteria

Related Articles

Need More Information?

Submit this form, and an Enrollment Specialist will contact you to answer your questions.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Or call 844-872-8712

Ready to Begin?

Start your application today!

or call 844-872-8712 844-872-8712

for help with any questions you may have.