Dr. Sergio D. Garza
"This degree can provide you with upward mobility in a central office position or in other agencies that promote English language learners."
- Ed.D. in Bilingual Education – Texas A&M University-Kingsville
- M.S. in Elementary Education – Texas A&M University-Kingsville
- B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies – Texas A&M University-Kingsville
- Plazas Comunitarias service learning project in conjunction with the Mexican Consulate in Laredo, Texas
- Service learning project – Dominican Republic
- Service learning project with the Bethany House in Laredo, Texas
- TAMIU Curriculum & Instruction Teacher of the Year, 2015-16
- TAMIU College of Education Teacher of the Year, 2015-16
In which online degree programs do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
EDBE 5324: Bilingual/Multicultural Teaching Strategies
What types of projects and work do you typically assign for these courses?
Projects in this course include papers, technology assignments, and criterion-reference surveys.
What do you want students in your courses to learn? What are the learning outcomes or objectives?
I would like for the students enrolled in this course to learn that multicultural education incorporates the idea that regardless of who students are or where students come from, all should have an equal opportunity to learn in our American school system.
What is the value of an M.S. in C&I with a Specialization in Bilingual Education?
This degree can provide you with upward mobility in a central office position or other agencies that promote English language learners.
What advice would you give to those considering the online M.S. in C&I with a Specialization in Bilingual Education program?
My advice is for online participants to take plenty of time to prepare and always reach out to your professor anytime you require assistance.
How can this degree help students prepare for the challenges in bilingual education?
A person needs to be persistent and resilient when working with special student populations. You have to do what is right and, at times, this means going against the grain. This degree provides valuable information that will help you when working with English language learners.
Why did you start teaching?
I started teaching in Mirando City ISD in the spring of 1985 because they had a position available in the elementary level.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
"Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
I serve on the Laredo Housing Authority Board of Directors.