Rolando Peña Sánchez
“The MBA program at TAMIU is among the best program of its kind with many characteristics of flexibility and support.”
- Ph.D. in Statistics – Rice University, 1990
- M.S. in Applied Statistics – UANL, 1981
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering – UANL, 1975
Dr. Rolando Peña Sánchez is an Associate Professor of Statistics in the Division of International Business and Technology Studies at Texas A&M International University. His research interests include multivariate parametric and nonparametric statistical methods applied to business administration and environmental risk management. His more recent research has appeared in the “International Journal of Business Strategy,” the “Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology,” the “Journal of Academy of Business and Economics,” the “Journal of International Business and Economics,” “Advances in Competitiveness Research,” the “Journal of Global Business Management ,“ the “Journal of International Finance and Economics,“ and the “Journal of International Management Studies.“
Dr. Sánchez has obtained the following certifications: Certified Lead Assessor and Internal Auditor in ISO9000 conferred by NCA Europe-AENOR; Diploma in ISO9000 conferred by NCA Europe-AENOR.
In which online degree program do you teach?
What do you want students in your courses to learn? What are the learning outcomes or objectives?
- Discuss how business research methods are journalized in management and translated to meaningful information to make business decisions, and how to communicate a theoretical and practical understanding of the hypothetic-deductive method for designing and doing business research.
- Contrast how the restrictions of budget and time impose the need for alternative research methods, and how to communicate a general method of business problem formulation/solving.
- Contrast how data collected from the day-to-day operations of the organization constitute a decision support system, and how to communicate an understanding of the conceptual bridge that links business research and business problem solving supported by primary data, but most frequently by secondary data, such as those obtained from e-sources.
- Discuss the representativeness of the samples and the validity of the designs.
- Interpret the importance of electronic communications, e-commerce and global information systems and how these concepts are related with daily operations, profitability and business decisions.
- Describe how a business intelligence system is designed to provide the managers with ongoing information about events and trends in the technological, economic, political, legal, demographic, cultural, social, and most critically, competitive arenas, and how to implement the basic knowledge of Business Research Methods in a Project Report to be developed individually during the academic period. This project report must comply with the essentials of academic writing and should be reviewed by TAMIU Writing Center before issued.
Why did you start teaching?
Teaching is a gratifying and stimulating activity. We have tried to expand the intellectual curiosity of our students and orient them to critical thinking that is supported through statistical evidence.
What advice would you give to those considering this online program?
The MBA program at TAMIU is among the best program of its kind with many characteristics of flexibility and support.
How can this degree help students prepare for the challenges of the field?
Globalization is a reality and thus the challenges are everywhere. The best way to discover areas of opportunity is with a certified knowledge via a graduate college degree.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
“The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement” by Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox
What is the value of this degree?
In general, the value of a college degree is intrinsic. Graduate MBA students from an AACSB-accredited institution can get job offers with financial compensations that exceed the average labor market.
What types of projects and work do you typically assign for these courses?
Assignments and a final project report.