Dr. Heidi Landry
"The MSN – Nursing Administration degree will help leaders and managers meet today's challenges in the health care setting."
- DNS – Louisiana State University Health New Orleans, 2001
- M.N. – Louisiana State University Health New Orleans, 1994
- BSN – Nicholls State University, 1989
My background in nursing includes work in education, post-partum, orthopedics and home health. However, I worked over 10 years in nursing management and administrative roles. My degrees include a BSN, M.N. and a DNS (a Ph.D.) in Nursing Administration. I have worked in a faculty role for over 20 years at the BSN, MSN and DNP levels teaching both online and on campus. I have also traveled with American students and taught Cultural Aspects of Nursing in Paris and London in the summer.
In which online degree programs do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
All courses in the MSN – Nursing Administration program
What do you want students in your courses to learn? What are the learning outcomes or objectives?
- Critically analyze, interpret and utilize appropriate knowledge, research and theories to meet the healthcare needs of diverse client populations across the lifespan
- Collaboratively plan the delivery of culturally sensitive healthcare with organizations and the community
- Contribute to the advancement of nursing profession through evidenced-based research and practice
- Synthesize the leadership management, negotiating, teaching/coaching and consulting roles to foster continual improvement in order to meet changing societal and environmental needs
- Operationalize ethical, legal, political and economic principles in application to management of healthcare deliver across the lifespan
- Advocate for advanced nursing practice through a commitment to lifelong learning and community service
What types of projects and work do you typically assign for these courses?
Papers and presentations
What advice would you give to those considering this online program?
The most important advice I can give is to be persistent. You will have challenges, but work through them and ask for help if you need it. Organize your time so that you stay on track with the program.
What is the value of this degree?
This degree will open doors to leadership and management positions in the healthcare setting.
How can this degree help students prepare for the challenges of the field?
The MSN – Nursing Administration degree will help leaders and managers meet today's challenges in the health care setting.
Why did you start teaching?
I am a lifelong learner and want to give back my experiences to nursing students. It is very rewarding for me to watch students transform into professional nurses.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
"The Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students may not know.
When I was in high school, I played the organ in church.