Dr. Gilda Y. Martinez
"A master's degree in bilingual education will prepare students to meet the needs and demands of the English learner population as a teacher, curriculum developer, instructional coordinator and/or school administrator."
- Ed.D. in Bilingual Education – Texas A&M University-Kingsville, 2016
- M.S. in School Administration – Texas A&M International University, 2012
- M.S. in Bilingual Education – Texas A&M International University, 2008
- B.S., EC-4th Bilingual – Texas A&M International University, 2004
In which online degree programs do you teach?
- EDBE 5310: History and Philosophy of Bilingual Education
- EDBE 5322: Bilingual Oral Language Assessment and Development
- EDBE 5325: Teaching English as a Second Language
- EDBE 5326: Teaching Reading and Language Arts in Bilingual Setting
What types of projects and work do you typically assign for these courses?
Students demonstrate knowledge of second language pedagogical methods with the development of lesson plans, research papers, discussion forums and video presentations, amid group projects.
What do you want students in your courses to learn? What are the learning outcomes or objectives?
Students will analyze current research regarding bilingual language assessment and development to promote dual language literacy. They will also design and evaluate bilingual, biliterate and bicultural pedagogical methods of language development and assessment.
What advice would you give to those considering the online M.S. in C&I with a Specialization in Bilingual Education program?
The program includes classes that help develop a well-rounded understanding of language and culture in the main areas of teaching language, understanding linguistics and developing academic vocabulary in bilingual settings.
What is the value of an M.S. in C&I with a Specialization in Bilingual Education?
This degree is ideal for educational personnel seeking additional credentials in bilingual education and to be more mindful of the needs of a second language learner in bilingual and bicultural settings.
How can an M.S. in C&I with a Specialization in Bilingual Education help students prepare for the challenges of the field?
A master's degree in bilingual education will prepare students to meet the needs and demands of the English learner population as a teacher, curriculum developer, instructional coordinator and/or school administrator.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
"Mandela's Way: Lessons on Life, Love, and Courage" by Richard Stengel