Dr. Antonio Rodriguez
"An MBA enhances personal and professional growth and generates newer opportunities."
- Ph.D. – The University of Alabama, 1985
- M.A. – The University of Alabama, 1981
- Taught basic business courses in economics and finance while a master’s and a Ph.D. student at the University of Alabama. Received the Best Graduate Teaching Assistant in the Department of Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies award for the academic year 1983-1984.
- Selected to participate on futures trading seminars for Ph.D. students and assistant professors from 1983-1985, fully funded by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
- During the 1990’s and 2000’s, taught finance and banking seminars in Central America, South America, Mexico and Europe. In addition, coordinated and directed MBA programs delivered by TAMIU in Monterrey, Mexico, and in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Published in a variety of business journals since 1986. Most recent research investigated the contagion effect of sanctions by the Securities and Banking Commission in Mexico on the market values of Mexican corporations and world stock markets serving as inflation hedging vehicles.
- Chair of the Division of International Banking and Finance Studies and an associate dean of the A. R. Sanchez, Jr., School of Business for over 15 years at TAMIU.
In which online degree program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
FIN 3310: Introduction to Finance and BA 5201: Finance and Economics Concepts
What types of projects and work do you typically assign for these courses?
Students use actual financial statement data to describe, analyze and project the financial condition and performance of a firm. They also use actual stock market data to describe, analyze and project the stock market and companies’ stock returns.
What do you want students in your courses to learn? What are the learning outcomes or objectives?
- Financial literacy and the ability to conduct financial analysis
- The ability to apply sound financial principles to everyday personal and professional matters
What is the value of an MBA?
An MBA enhances personal and professional growth and generates newer opportunities.
What advice would you give to those considering the online MBA in International Banking and Finance program?
Students need to be fully committed. Online programs require real discipline and commitment on the part of the student.
How can an MBA help students prepare for the challenges of the field?
It prepares students for greater responsibilities that normally come with management positions.
Why did you start teaching?
I have a passion for learning and delivering information.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
Textbooks first and foremost. Then, any read is a good read.
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know.
I actually have a sense of humor.