Dr. Robin Knowles
"The online program is very intensive, so be ready to allocate substantial amounts of time and effort in order to perform well. The online program is primarily a self-study program, so students should be comfortable reading graduate-level textbooks and studying and absorbing complex concepts."
- Ph.D. in Accounting – University of Connecticut, 2010
- M.S. in Accounting with concentration in Financial Reporting and Assurance Services – University of Connecticut, 2001
- MBA in Finance, Information Systems and International Business – New York University, 1996
- B.S. with Honors in Business Administration, Concentration in Finance, Economic Analysis & Policy – University of California, Berkeley, 1988
Robin L. Knowles, Ph.D., CFA, spent a total of 16 years at IBM, SNET and MassMutual International, where her most recent position was as assistant vice president, International Financial Planning. Ms. Knowles’ research interests include financial information and capital markets, personal financial planning, and international accounting issues
In which online degree program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
ACC 5310: Financial Statement Analysis
What types of projects and work do you typically assign for these courses?
Students will learn to perform valuation analysis on a publicly traded company, incorporating the concepts covered over the course of the semester.
What do you want students in your courses to learn? What are the learning outcomes or objectives?
- The learning objectives of Financial Statement Analysis are the following:
- Formulate the four major financial statements, including the accounting principles and all related concepts to each financial statement
- Evaluate and analyze the four major financial statements in terms of time perspective and how economic decisions impact the financial statements
- Calculate, analyze and evaluate the four financial ratio perspectives and how each is related to operational performance and firm value
- Evaluate the impact of accounting policies of the firm on the financial statements and on the financial performance of the firm
- Prepare forecasted financial statements and evaluate their importance in estimating a firm’s economic value
- Analyze, evaluate and calculate firm economic value using various methods of valuation
What advice would you give to those considering the online MBA in International Banking and Finance program?
The online program is very intensive, so be ready to allocate substantial amounts of time and effort in order to perform well. The online program is primarily a self-study program, so students should be comfortable reading graduate-level textbooks and studying and absorbing complex concepts.
How can an MBA help students prepare for the challenges of the field?
Students will learn to understand and evaluate businesses by analyzing their financial statements.
Why did you start teaching?
I want to educate the next generation of professionals.
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know.
I have spent nine years living overseas, including three years in Spain, two years in Colombia, one year in Italy and three years in Liberia. I used to be conversant in Italian, and I am conversant in Spanish (although I struggle with local accents). I studied one year of Japanese at Berkeley, so I guess you could say I love languages and I love to travel!